Rutgers receives nearly $2.8 M. in parking ticket payments last year

The money the University receives from parking ticket payments goes toward faculty, maintaining lights and other transportation costs.  – Photo by Dustin Niles

From July 2018 to June 2019, Rutgers—New Brunswick took in $2,794,998.73 from parking ticket payments, according to a document The Daily Targum received via an Open Public Records request. 

Broken down by month, the document stated that April 2019 was the most profitable month for the University, when it received $447,682.08 from ticket payments. In January 2019 Rutgers received $338,037.00 and in May 2019 it received $318,593.50. 

The money the University receives from ticket payments goes to pay staff, maintain the lights and for other transportation maintenance such as snow plowing, said University spokeswoman Carissa Sestito. 

Rutgers has not considered any other method of enforcing parking regulations, but is open to suggestions as long as they do not cause a lack of compliance of the parking rules, Sestito said. 

In February 2019, the Targum reported that the University planned on cutting back parking long-term, as it is trying to be more sustainable. Every time it builds something new, it is on a parking lot. 

“Parking, perhaps the most frustrating part of commuter life and for many resident students as well, will continue to decrease in availability over a very long-term period. The University plans to be more sustainable, and decreasing the amount of cars on campus is a big part of that plan,” said Antonio Calcado, executive vice president for Strategic Planning and Operations.