Rutgers unveils 2 buildings this month that cost more than $250 M. total

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The RWHJBarnabas Health Athletic Performance Center (RWJHAPC), located on Livingston campus, will be adjacent to the Rutgers Athletic Center (RAC) in the hopes of recruiting stronger student-athletes.</p>

The RWHJBarnabas Health Athletic Performance Center (RWJHAPC), located on Livingston campus, will be adjacent to the Rutgers Athletic Center (RAC) in the hopes of recruiting stronger student-athletes.

Rutgers is celebrating the completion of two mega-buildings, with the RWHJBarnabas Health Athletic Performance Center (RWJHAPC) and the New Brunswick Performing Arts Center (NBPAC) both being built for a total of more than $250 million. 

During his speech at the RWJHAPC unveiling last week on Livingston campus, University President Robert L. Barchi said the new sports facility adjacent to the Rutgers Athletic Center (RAC) would hopefully recruit stronger classes of student athletes that would lead to a profitable Rutgers Athletics program, The Daily Targum reported in its online edition Friday. 

Yet, Barchi also noted the newly finished, $172 million NBPAC in downtown New Brunswick in his speech. The luxury theater and apartment building will connect students at the Mason Gross School of the Arts with professionals from places like New York City. 

“It is a new place for our performers and our Mason Gross students to rub shoulders with the best and brightest from Broadway,” Barchi said. 

The NBPAC was built under a private-public partnership that included the New Brunswick Development Corporation (DEVCO), the City of New Brunswick, Middlesex County, Pennrose, the New Jersey Economic Development Authority (NJEDA), New Brunswick Cultural Center, Rutgers University and the New Brunswick Parking Authority, according to the facility’s website

“Rutgers has been rooted in the city for more than 250 years. This partnership is an extension of our commitment to nurturing the arts in New Brunswick,” said Mason Gross Interim Dean Gerry Beegan. “We have nearly 1,200 young artists on campus. NBPAC presents an opportunity for us to bring a slate of enjoyable and thought-provoking performances and films to a wider audience. We expect that this will provoke dynamic creative exchanges between our theater artists, musicians, dancers, production designers and a range of new collaborators.” 

Additionally, the RWJHAPC cost approximately $115 million to complete, with its funds coming from both the program’s Big Ten Build campaign and tax incentives from the state of New Jersey, according to an article on NJ Advance Media. 

“This will make an extraordinary difference in the lives of our wrestlers, gymnasts and our basketball programs, both men’s and women’s. But really it’ll make a difference in the lives of all of our student athletes, because here is where they will come for their sports medical clinical care, their training, nutrition,” said Athletics Director Pat Hobbs, in an interview with The Daily Targum on Friday. “So it's really a 180 for Rutgers Athletics today.”