Rutgers urges students struggling with mental health issues to reach out

news-caps-dt

The Counseling, Alcoholic and other Drug Assistance Program, and Psychiatric Services (CAPS) building is located on 17 Senior Street in New Brunswick.

The Office of Student Health acknowledges that mental health can be an issue for any college student, and in a University-wide email sent out on Friday, the office highlighted its resources and urged people struggling to reach out. 

“Whether you are a new student or returning to campus, we recognize it can be difficult to balance academic work, relationships and self-care. If you or a friend are struggling with stress, feelings of hopelessness, problems with alcohol and other drugs, anxiety or loneliness, we encourage you to use the following support services,” the email stated. 

The email then went on to detail the contact information for different support hotlines: The Counseling, Alcohol and Other Drug Assistance Program & Psychiatric Services (CAPS), Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance and the Dean of Students.

The Daily Targum reported last week that the University was closing its on-campus student pharmacies in part to invest in more staff at CAPS, as mental health problems have seen an increase in prevalence on college campuses nationwide in recent years. 

Brendan Brightman