Chantelle Swaby's World Cup experience made her vocal leader

– Photo by Dustin Niles

If you’re looking for an elite defender capable of playing for a national team in the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup, you won’t have to look around for long. Senior defender Chantelle Swaby is your answer, and she isn't your average soccer player. 

Swaby has been a mainstay for the Rutgers women’s soccer team since she got to New Brunswick. As the anchor of the defense, she's been able to prove her ability to hold off opposing teams from getting the chance to score. And if aiding the Scarlet Knights (4-0) isn’t enough, Swaby has lent her time to the next level of play. 

Swaby helped Jamaica make its debut appearance at the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

“It was definitely was really nerve racking. I went in and I played midfield and I never played midfield in my life, but once the whistle blew and a couple seconds went by it was just like any other game," she said.

She was not alone on her international journey, as her sister Allyson Swaby was there to play alongside her for Jamaica. Chantelle Swaby described the best moment of her World Cup experience being able to play with Allyson Swaby. 

As the staple center back for Rutgers, Chantelle Swaby’s time playing as a midfielder for Jamaica proved to be beneficial with Allyson Swaby.

“I’m definitely more talkative, and I think last year I was kind of still not directing as much as I should have been, and I think now being at that level and with experiencing how vocal you need to be at that position," Chantelle Swaby said. "Just having that couple months being able to learn how to be more talkative and direct people will help me bring that here to the team. Now I do it so much it’s second nature.”

Chantelle Swaby is a prime example of how greatness on the field can lead to many positive changes and experiences that are vital to maintaining dominance in a sport. Alongside her teammates, Chantelle Swaby and company have begun the season with an impressive start, currently holding a record of 4-0, with a notable win against No. 11 Tennessee.

For updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.