Emily Harrigan's return to pitch following redshirt season

As the Rutgers women’s soccer team has gotten off to a strong start, the team has benefitted from excellent play all over the field. The No. 21 Scarlet Knights (5-0-1) have a deep roster both on defense and offense, which has allowed the team to stay fresh and play consistently. 

While everyone wants to get on the field and compete for their team, one player had to step back before she could step forward onto the pitch. Redshirt freshman forward Emily Harrigan had to watch her team play from the sidelines due to injury, the last thing an athlete wants to experience.

“Last year was definitely not the year I expected, with being injured and having to be sidelined for the whole season. So it was definitely a feeling that I won’t forget because I worked hard for it," Harrigan said. "I think I learned a lot by sitting on the sidelines, watching every practice and trying to pay attention to every detail because I knew that one day I would come back from my injury and step on the field."

Now in the starting lineup, Harrigan has established herself as a strong presence on the field. Her determination to exceed expectation has shown itself, making six starts in 388 minutes on the pitch. She continues to contribute alongside fellow junior forwards Nneka Moneme and Amirah Ali with a combined 9 goals.

Before arriving to Rutgers, Harrigan was an accomplished four-year varsity starter at Norwin High School, breaking the school record with 93 career goals. She led her team to three section championships and a state championship in 2017, played in the 2017 High School All-American team, and was nominated for Gatorade Player of the Year.

With five wins and one draw under their belts, the Rutger looks forward to continuing its play with players like Harrigan and many others, hoping to progress and improve just like Harrigan did during her recovery from injury.

"I’m just doing my just like every other girl on the team," Harrigan said. "And with having leaders on the team they’re really just helping me do my job just like everyone else is."

For updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.