Rutgers finishes home-stand against Hofstra

After four wins at Yurcak Field, the Rutgers women’s soccer team is piling on its confidence in the polls and on the field.

But, the season isn’t ending anytime soon.

The Scarlet Knights (4-0) will play its last of a five-game home stint against Hofstra on Thursday at 7 p.m., before making a short trip over to play Princeton on Saturday at 8 p.m. 

From its undefeated record so far this season, Rutgers is looking to have a clean sheet for as long as it can. If the team continues to play as well as it has, that record should remain clean after this weekend.

Scouting Hofstra 

The Pride (2-2) is coming off of a dominant 6-1 win against Fordham, which the Knights played against as well with a similar winning performance of 5-0. The last time Rutgers and Hofstra met was back in 2015 during the NCAA Tournament Second Round where the Knights claimed a 2-0 victory at home.

Lucy Porter heads the Pride’s offense with 5 goals, with Sabrina Bryan at 2 goals this season. With little depth in its roster, Rutgers should be able to leave Yurcak Field in winning fashion as long as they maintain control of the ball and have sophomore goalkeeper Meagan McClelland in net.

Scouting Princeton

The Tigers (1-1) have had limited time on the field, but they are faring well in the national polls, receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches poll. Opening up with a 1-0 win over Saint Joseph’s, Princeton lost its most recent game against Boston College 1-2. 

As back-to-back Ivy League Champions, the Tigers don’t take a loss lightly and will be vying for a win against the Knights over the weekend. Both Grace Sherman and Caroline Noonan have registered goals for Princeton with Natalie Grossi holding a .750 save percentage in net.

Rutgers’ series with the Tigers (17-8-3) was last met back in 2015 where the Knights ran away with a 3-0 victory on the road.

Rutgers Weekly Accolades

After not appearing in the national polls, Rutgers is finally on the board with a No. 21 ranking in the United Soccer Coaches poll and a No. 13 ranking in the Top Drawer Soccer poll. The Knights sit directly below No. 20 Tennessee, which they beat last week 1-0.

Not to mention, McClelland was named this week’s Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Week after posting three shutouts this season. This isn’t McClelland’s first time in the honor’s seat, as she’s held Big Ten Freshman of the Week twice and now Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Week three times in her career.

It won’t be long before Rutgers manages to crack into the top 16 nationally. When the Knights are having multiple players in position to score, it bodes well for some of the stars to rest and give more opportunities to the up-and-coming players a chance to get their feet behind the ball.

For updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.