Rutgers draws Princeton down Route 1 South

sports-mcclelland-dustin
Photo by Dustin Niles |

Playing to double-overtime, the Rutgers women’s soccer team was left at a standstill against Princeton on Saturday night. The No. 21 Scarlet Knights (5-0-1) ultimately settled for a 0-0 game in their first on the road matchup and first tie of the season.

Thanks to sophomore goalkeeper Meagan McClelland, the Tigers (2-1-1) were kept at bay even though they outplayed Rutgers in shots (14-10) and corners (6-5). McClelland secured her fourth shutout of the season, matching her career high of five saves out of her 110 minutes in the net.

For the first half, the Knights went shot-for-shot with Princeton at five a piece, registering five fouls in the first 20 minutes of play. 

In the second half, the Tigers rattled off five shots on two corner kicks, but Rutgers stayed tight in the box to keep Princeton scoreless through the period. 

The Knights were only able to create opportunities for two shots at the start of the second, continuing to battle against the Tigers in their half of the field. Rutgers was out of its element, and didn’t create the same kind of momentum from the home matchups.

Once the first overtime period began, the Knights came at full force against Princeton like they hadn’t in the previous 90 minutes. Rutgers pushed forward for three shots — two coming from junior forward Nneka Moneme.

Second overtime saw the Knights and the Tigers go 3-3 in shots, but yet again, neither team was able to get the job done.

Moneme and senior midfielder Taylor Aylmer both tallied three shots with Aylmer putting all of her shots right on target. Senior forward Brittany LaPlant had two shots in her pocket while true freshman forward Regan Berg and junior forward Amirah Ali claimed one each.

Since 2016, Rutgers hasn’t lost an overtime match and holds an overall score of 11-0-16 in its last 27 overtime games.

With a deep roster full of talent, the Knights need to continue developing from the bottom up. But, the freshmen are beginning to step up to the plate in big ways and open up opportunities for themselves or others to take a shot on goal. 

Rutgers has only one more game against Delaware on Sunday afternoon before the Big Ten season begins. From there, the Knights will have a three-game home slot, starting with Minnesota.

For updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba