Barchi commits to equity payments for full-time faculty

<p>University President Robert L. Barchi said that deans and chancellors and his leadership team are committed to the bargained for equity payment program.&nbsp;</p>

University President Robert L. Barchi said that deans and chancellors and his leadership team are committed to the bargained for equity payment program. 

University President Robert L. Barchi announced Rutgers’ commitment to the equity payment program it agreed to in the bargaining agreement made with the Rutgers American Association of University Professors and American Federation of Teachers (AAUP-AFT), according to an email provided to The Daily Targum. The email was sent to Rutgers full-time faculty and was provided by Todd Wolfson, the president of the Rutgers AAUP-AFT and associate professor in the Department of Journalism and Media Studies. 

The program allows for faculty to receive equity payments to increase their pay if they are found to merit the same pay as another member of the faculty. Within the past month, some concerns have been raised as to whether all deans and chancellors will implement the program. 

“Because this is a new program and I understand that there have been some miscommunication and conflicting reports about the program, I want to make it clear that the chancellors and deans, as well as my senior leadership team and I, are committed to funding the equity salary adjustments when individual cases are found to be meritorious,” Barchi said, according to the email. “The commitment is not premised on the availability of funds within the budget of any particular academic unit.”

At the Board of Governors meeting at Rutgers—Camden earlier this month, the Chairman of the Board of Governors Mark Angelson and Barchi took questions from several members of the faculty who were concerned that their dean would not approve of the equity program. 

“The BOG is 100% supportive of President Barchi’s commitment that the University should honor all of its contractual obligations. ALL of its contractual obligations," Angelson said, according to an AAUP-AFT tweet. "Collective bargaining is something for which people have given their lives. We honor it, we respect it, we honor our commitments and we support President Barchi. Thank you very much.”