Barchi urges students to register to vote for this year's elections

<p>University President Robert L. Barchi urged students to register to vote in University-wide email yesterday.&nbsp;</p>

University President Robert L. Barchi urged students to register to vote in University-wide email yesterday. 

Yesterday, University President Robert L. Barchi sent an email to Rutgers students urging them to register to vote.

“This fall, every seat in the New Jersey General Assembly is up for election, as well as one State Senate seat and numerous county and municipal offices,” Barchi said. “Although these races don’t receive as much attention as national elections, they are just as consequential to New Jersey residents — especially students of a state university.”

He said that students must be registered to vote by the Oct. 15 deadline in order to vote on this year’s Election Day — Tuesday, Nov. 5. He cited the Eagleton Institute of Politics’ Center for Youth Political Participation as a resource for instructions.

“Preparing our students to be informed and engaged citizens is a core responsibility of Rutgers University,” Barchi said in the email. “We want our students to graduate Rutgers motivated to make the world a better place.”

Barchi added that voter turnout rates among college students have drastically increased throughout the country in 2018, including Rutgers. 

Voter turnout was reported to be nearly 43% in 2018 — a 32% increase in student voting since 2014, which was 11%, The Daily Targum reported in September.

“No matter what your political views, all elections matter — whether at the national level or the state and local levels,” Barchi said in the email. “If you want a say in who composes government and makes the decisions that affect our lives, then you must vote.”