KASHALIKAR: Bipartisanship more important than ever

Column: A Centrist View of the World

As former President Abraham Lincoln once said, "A house divided against itself cannot stand." 

We cannot live in a country where partisanship persists. We should put our differences aside and work together because, in the end, we are trying to accomplish the betterment of our country. 

Today when you open up the news on TV or on a computer, you will see that the news will keep on saying that "so-and-so is doing this and doing that which is splintering the country." They are trying to reiterate their talking points that this country is divided because of "so-and-so." I want to make it clear that those who seek to divide us are just the ones who are power-hungry and do not care about the people. 

When I walk around in places like college campuses, or a supermarket, almost everyone I see there is just minding their business and doing what they need to do. 

But the corporate media and our politicians do not seem to want this thing to take place. They want the country to be as divided as possible because it gives them more control over our livelihoods. Not only that, politicians are not able to get things done in Congress because of the kind of behavior they display on TV. 

I am a centrist, and I believe that we need to have some common-sense bipartisanship. I want everyone to come together and solve issues like climate change, health care system, drug prices, college tuition fees, criminal justice reform and many more. 

Whenever I turn on the TV, I always keep seeing that Democrats and Republicans are name-calling and accusing each other of wrongdoings. 

Like any other American, I am fed up with their nonsense. Now they are talking about impeachment, which would divide the country and cause the stock market to crash, and millions of jobs would be affected. Is this really what Democrats want to go for?

I remember that in December 2018, when Democrats and some Republicans came together and passed the First Step Act for criminal justice reform, it gave me more hope than ever until the impeachment talk. The majority of Americans do not want impeachment, according to polls. Most Americans want Congress to work together to solve issues.

People in Congress, including President Donald J. Trump himself, need to stop fighting each other and set an example by showing what bipartisanship does in regards to the country's unity. We all have a role play in trying to unite the country in " ... one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." 

Finally, I believe with bipartisanship we can solve so many problems that were not solved decades ago. 

I will end this with former President Barack Obama's famous 2004 Democratic National Convention speech: "Well, I say to them tonight, there is not a liberal America and a conservative America — there is the United States of America. There is not a Black America and a white America and Latino America and Asian America — there's the United States of America." 

Abhishek Kashalikar is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in Biotechnology. His column, "A Centrist View of the World," runs on alternate Tuesdays.

______________________________________________________________________

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes      submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print       newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 500 words. Guest      columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 850 words. All    authors   must include their name, phone number, class year and  college     affiliation or department to be considered for publication.  Please     submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be  considered   for   the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons  and letters do   not   necessarily reflect the views of the Targum  Publishing Company  or  its   staff.