Freelancing is key to gaining traction in creative fields of work

The practice of freelancing has always been the land of the free and the home of the many. Today more than ever, people attempt freelance work in creative fields, with varying degrees of success. 

But, freelancing jobs have certain similarities that creatives must adhere to if they wish to become successful in their field, but live outside of the full-time, 9-to-5 work week. 

In a way, freelancing is a representation of Generation Z itself: diligent, confusing, difficult to get a grasp on and a new subculture bubbling out from under the woodworks. By working with various companies and submitting your craft to different outlets, you as a creative always have your options available and maintain a multi-faceted resume. 

Additionally, freelance labor is being used to make up for the lack of full-time workers in the current economy, so there is always a demand available for freelance workers. But, job security is difficult to maintain as a freelance artist, so your living depends on the demand for your labor.

One of the most important factors in freelance success in your industry is “breaking through” into your required field. To be in demand is every artist’s dream, but not everyone’s reality. 

A crucial tactic needed as a freelance laborer is to know how to market yourself to other companies. Cold pitching is a practice in which you contact entrepreneurs, editors and companies to notify them of how you as an artist can help aid their business. 

By discovering a niche and working to produce quality content in that niche, you as an artist can create a respectable reputation for yourself and create a demand for your work. By continually contacting companies, you will always keep your options open and create a cycle of companies who want to work with you. Following job boards on social media platforms consistently allows you to know when you can find potential clients to work with.

One of the benefits of working as a freelancer is that you can work from your home and be your own boss, which eliminates the need for a commute or interacting with unpleasant coworkers. But, by creating your own business of one, you need to look after all aspects of your work, which includes sales, financing and (sometimes) advertising. 

By needing to focus on all this, your productivity levels must be maintained throughout your workweek. You may find yourself working 30 hours a week for one week and 50 hours the next week. Freelancing requires flexibility, time management and an undying belief in yourself and your talents.

Many freelancers join a freelancing union, which provides representation for independent workers. Joining a union also allows freelancing artists to network with each other and gain a wider field of collaborators. Networking connects you to jobs with other companies and allows your business and brand to expand beyond yourself and your field of clients.

The ethics of freelancing is a topic that is not often discussed, but questions such as creating a sustainable environment for yourself is a topic not often discussed. Burnout as a freelancer is common due to the unpredictable hours of your environment, and knowing how to pace yourself with your business is a skill that must be enforced diligently. 

Knowing what areas you are interested and capable of working in is important, as there are niches that other workers may be more comfortable in.

Freelancing is a necessary skill to gain in the current working class landscape, and it allows artists to remain flexible and committed to their work in various aspects. By marketing yourself to other companies, staying motivated and committing yourself to your business and networking with other freelancing artists, freelancing jobs will continue to be in demand for workers to take advantage of if done correctly.