Crafting creative costumes, side characters to memes

We’ve all seen the likes of cats, angels and nurses roam the streets of New Brunswick on Halloween night. More often than not, people throw on a plain top, pair of jeans and costume-like headband and call it a day. 

As we take on Halloweekend 2.0, let’s think about how to up our costume game and get into the spooky spirit.

One of the best ways to get clever and creative with your Halloween costume is to utilize a good, old-fashioned pun. Dress up as “Life” by grabbing a name tag and a basket filled with lemons to give out. Wear your best Rutgers gear and stick on a picture of a screw, and you’re someone we all know but don’t love: the RU Screw!

Pop culture references are always easy, go-to costumes that still have flair to them. Whether it’s a character from the beloved worlds of “Star Wars” or “Harry Potter,” or even a nod to iconic TV shows like “Gossip Girl” and “Game of Thrones,” there’s something for everyone in the vast world of pop culture. 

A spin on the theme of superheroes could be dressing up as the post-Thanos snap Thor from this year’s “Avengers: Endgame.” Clad yourself in all-pink and you’re referencing “Mean Girls” or Sharpay from “High School Musical.”

All dressing as a contestant from “The Bachelor” or “The Bachelorette” takes is throwing on some formalwear and a single rose in hand. The Kardashians are pervasive in pop culture today and can be entertaining costumes to assemble, thanks to the omnipresent and often meme-worthy nature of the family’s brand.

The Met Gala and MTV Video Music Awards provide a great source of inspiration for those who look for something intricate and eccentric in a Halloween costume, such as Lady Gaga’s 2010 Meat Dress from the VMAs, which can be replicated using other materials. 

Memes are always a favorite in the world of Halloween. Arthur the aardvark, Ariana Grande licking a lollipop and references to the late app Vine are popular choices for many people. An interesting, albeit lazy, idea for a Halloween costume could allude to the 2019 TikTok phenomenon of VSCO Girls and E-Girls. 

When it comes to getting a Halloween costume together, the rules are simple: Let your imagination run wild, don’t culturally appropriate and most importantly, have fun!