Rutgers arrests suspect in connection to unwanted sexual contact incident on Quads

<p>The suspect is a 17-year-old from South Brunswick and has been charged with aggravated criminal sexual contact, criminal sexual contact and burglary, according to the email.</p>

The suspect is a 17-year-old from South Brunswick and has been charged with aggravated criminal sexual contact, criminal sexual contact and burglary, according to the email.

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) arrested a suspect in connection with the sexual assault that took place on Oct. 20 on Livingston campus, according to a University-wide email from Brian Emmett, a detective lieutenant of University police. 

The suspect is a 17-year-old from South Brunswick and has been charged with aggravated criminal sexual contact, criminal sexual contact and burglary, according to the email. The investigation was conducted in conjunction with the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office. 

The suspect allegedly entered an unsecured residence hall room located in Quad 2 and made unwanted sexual contact with a sleeping resident, according to a University-wide email sent by University Police Lt. Manuel Simoes on Oct. 20. The victim was not physically injured. 

To reduce the likelihood of similar crimes, students should not prop open exterior doors, make sure buildings remain locked when not in use and remain aware of their surroundings, Emmett said in the email. 

RUPD has increased its security patrols in the Livingston Quad area and is in contact with residence assistants to remind them of safety precautions, according to a University spokesperson. 

Dan Morrison, executive director of Residence Life for the New Brunswick campus, said in an email to students living on campus that doors should always remain secured. Students who have lost their key should pay for a lock change at their campus office and should not ask roommates to leave doors unlocked.

Morrison and Emmett both said that students should contact RUPD if they witness suspicious activity.