Rutgers Athletics Director responds to softball scandal

<p>Rutgers Athletics Director Pat Hobbs</p>

Rutgers Athletics Director Pat Hobbs

Rutgers Athletics Director Pat Hobbs is accused of using profanity when speaking to a reporter investigating abuse allegations against the Rutgers softball coaches, according to an article from NJ Advance Media. 

The article stated that Hobbs allegedly called a reporter and went on a “tirade,” ending the call with “You guys are f****** scum. Why should I help you people?”

An hour after the initial phone call, Hobbs texted the reporter to apologize but added “This narrative around RU being a place where abuse is tolerated is bull****. But it gets clicks,” according to the article.

On Oct. 30, Hobbs along with Deputy Director of Athletics Sarah Baumgartner and Rutgers softball head coach Kristen Butler, issued a detailed response denying all allegations of abuse. 

“I do not tolerate abusive behavior and Rutgers University does not tolerate abusive behavior. Rutgers University is a national leader in how such claims are addressed,” Hobbs said in the statement to NJ Advance Media. 

Rutgers Athletics has dealt with two other abuse allegations against coaches within the past six years. Mike Rice, the former Rutgers basketball coach, and Petra Martin, the former Rutgers swimming coach, were fired in 2013 and 2017 respectively, according to NJ Advance Media. 

The past allegations were resolved through settlements amounting to more than $1.2 million paid to the former coaches by the University, according to the article.

The Daily Targum reached out to the University for comments on Hobbs’s language but was forwarded to Rutgers Athletics. It has not responded yet.