No. 18 Rutgers falls in 1st conference game to No. 4 Maryland

This past weekend, the Rutgers field hockey team had a tough loss on its home turf against No. 4 Maryland. The No. 18 Scarlet Knights (4-4, 0-1) had a tough run and a close game against one of the highest-ranked teams in the country, which just goes to show how far Rutgers has come this year.

Both the Terrapins (9-1, 1-0) and the Knights came into this game right after beating No. 6 Princeton, but Maryland had a more difficult time taking on the Tigers. They ended the game with a 4-3 result going into overtime, while Rutgers lost 2-1 in the regular scheduled 60-minute game.

This time around, the Knights gave the Terrapins a close game. With a final score of 2-1 at home, Rutgers left its own field with a tougher match and higher stats than usual. 

With 10 shots on goal, Maryland took the lead in that area against the Knights' five. Rutgers tends to end games on the lower side of shots and shots on goal. Against Princeton, it had 11 shots on goal compared to the Tigers' five.

On the flip side of that, the Knights ended with several more saves per game compared to its opponents. Junior goalkeeper Gianna Glatz ended the game with eight saves compared to the Terrapins' four. Glatz held together their defense from the goal, and has shown time and time again that she can take any pressure that another team hands her.

In the fourth quarter Glatz made 4 of her 8 saves, which ties for the most saves in a game this season. Since this was the fourth game this season for the Knights going up against a team ranked in the top 10, Glatz has had several defensive challenges to face. 

For the rest of the season, Rutgers will have to play three more teams in the top 10. While those numbers may fluctuate, there is still a high possibility it will stay, or even increase. Even though the Knights are ranked at No. 18, the competition that comes with playing in the Big Ten conference is shown in the rankings.

This was also an intense game for the coaches because head coach Meredith Civico had played at Maryland under current head coach Missy Meharg. Civico had previously mentioned the competitive nature that Terrapins have, especially when they face off head-to-head.

Sophomore midfielder Tayla Parkes was able to take advantage of this rivalry and score her first goal of this season. Parkes had 4 goals last season, and this will be a time for her to top last year’s record, since she has started every game this year.

When it comes to corners, the story is the same. Rutgers fell behind Maryland in opportunities, since the Terrapins had eight corners in the game, while the Knights had four corners. Corners are one of the best opportunities to score in field hockey, but in this game, neither team used that for their benefit.

Maryland had a goal in the first 9 minutes of the game by Linda Cobano, who has scored six times this season. In the past two games, Rutgers has allowed its opposing team to score in less than the first 10 minutes of the game. While both of these teams have been highly ranked, it just goes to show how the Knights need to be prepared for a fast-paced game against teams in the Big Ten.

With an upcoming game at Iowa City against No. 8 Iowa, Rutgers should take what it learned in this game and its previous game against Princeton to lead its practice schedule and prepare it for what’s to come. 

The Knights will play on Friday at 3 p.m. to go against another top-10 ranked team in the country. Especially since this game is an away game, Rutgers will have another challenge to take on, but this fact did not stop them when they played the Tigers.

"I'm incredibly proud of how the team competed in this game," Civico said. "We were aggressive. We attacked. We just need to be a bit more composed and take better advantage of our opportunities."

For updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.