Korsak captures Ray Guy weekly award

Amid the losing woes for the Rutgers football team this season, between its 16 straight Big Ten losses and the firing of former head coach Chris Ash, the special teams unit has consistently been a bright spot.

After the Scarlet Knights' (1-5, 0-4) offensive unit cannot convert on third downs, junior punter Adam Korsak leads the punting unit out on the field. Opposing punt returners have had difficulty returning his punts this season, a testament to the Melbourne, Australia, native's powerful leg.

Korsak captured the Ray Guy Award this week, marking the third time he has earned the weekly top punter accolade on the season. In Rutgers' 35-0 loss in Indiana this past weekend, the redshirt junior landed 4 out of his 8 attempts inside the 20-yard line.

He has consistently pinned opposing offenses to behind the 20-yard line, with 20 total punts landing in that zone. Korsak first captured the Ray Guy Award after landing 70% of his punts inside the 20-yard line against Iowa during week two of this season.

Against the Hawkeyes, he punted an attempt 69 yards across the field, the most amount of yards he has on the season through six games and tied for the seventh-longest punt in the program's history. In that game, he averaged a season-best 47.60 yards. 

Prior to arriving on the Banks, Korsak attended Victoria University in Footscray, Australia. He played on the football (American soccer), cricket and golf teams under the rules of his native Australia. On the soccer team, he starred as a midfielder while working out with ProKick Australia on his punting form alongside former pro football punter Nathan Chapman.

ProKick Australia celebrated its 10th-year anniversary in 2017, after being established in 2007. The organization is well-known throughout the United States football world. 

Korsak is a School of Management and Labor Relations junior. He was named an All-Big Ten honorable mention last season, helping the Knights attain special team records. Most notably, the punting unit came up with 40.1 yards, Rutgers' top number in that category of all time.

The 6-foot-1-inch Korsak is already on pace to surpass last season's punt total inside the 20-yard line. In his first season with the Knights in 2018, he managed 23 in that zone through 78 attempts.

In six games this season, he has totaled 1,863 punting yards on 41 attempts. Last season he had 78 attempts for 3,333 yards. 

Korsak holds the school's record for the farthest punt in program history, with a 79-yarder against Northwestern back on Oct. 20, 2018, a game where Rutgers commanded a 12-7 halftime lead, but ultimately lost by 3 points, the smallest margin of victory by an opponent in 2018.

Korsak was one of Ash’s early enrollees in 2018. He was able to practice in the spring of last year as a redshirt sophomore. 

In his first game as a Knight, the Australian punter had three punts for 118 yards in Rutgers’ win over Texas State, its opening game of the 2018 season. He averaged 39.33 yards in his first game donning the scarlet and white.

"I thought our special teams played pretty hard and pretty well. Our punter is a phenomenal player," said interim head coach Nunzio Campanile. "He's as good as any punter in the country."

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.