Mohamed Sanu scores 1st touchdown of season

Last February, three former Rutgers football team standouts and alumni won Super Bowl LIII with the New England Patriots — Devin McCourty, Jason McCourty and Duron Harmon. 

While the NFL is celebrating its 100th anniversary, many Scarlet Knights have consistently seen time on pro football fields. Week five was no different. 

Alumnus and current Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Mohamed Sanu, who was the first true freshman to start at his position under former head coach Greg Schiano, has been a versatile wideout for his team. This was on display against last Sunday.

Against the Houston Texans, the Falcons' quarterback Matt Ryan connected with Sanu for a 14-yard touchdown pass to break open the scoring in the first quarter. The score was Sanu's first of the season. 

He would total five receptions for 42 yards, averaging 8.4 yards per reception in Atlanta's 53-32 loss in Houston.

On the Banks, Sanu was a standout wide receiver. He was a true wideout who can act as a quarterback in wildcat formations. At South Brunswick High School, Sanu was a quarterback in a triple option offense. 

In his first season on the Banks, he picked up three receiving touchdowns. At the 2009 St. Petersburg Bowl, Sanu won the MVP award after scoring three all-purpose touchdowns.

While at Rutgers, Sanu rushed for nine touchdowns and 653 yards. At the wideout spot, he averaged 10.8 yards per catch while compiling 12 touchdowns.

His nephew, junior wide receiver Mohamed Jabbie, is on the Rutgers' football team and plays the same position. Jabbie had a 15-yard reception against Maryland in the Knights' 48-7 loss this weekend.

Throughout his career, Sanu has compiled 25 touchdowns in the NFL, splitting his time with the Cincinnati Bengals and now the Falcons. He was originally drafted by the Bengals in 2012, being selected in the third round.

He spent four seasons with the Bengals, lined up alongside NFL All-Pro A.J. Green. Sanu then left to go to Atlanta in 2016, signing a five-year $32.5 million.

At Atlanta, Sanu has been lined up alongside one of the NFL's most consistent wide receivers, Julio Jones. Calvin Ridley also rounds out the Falcons' receiving group.

Sanu is projected to have three touchdowns this season with Atlanta. 

The Falcons are currently 1-4 in the NFC South standings. They will play the Arizona Cardinals next weekend.

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.