Rutgers manages, buys computers for discount

<p>Computer equipment disposal is mostly decided based on condition and the resale market. The equipment is either recycled or not.</p>

Computer equipment disposal is mostly decided based on condition and the resale market. The equipment is either recycled or not.

Senior Director of Rutgers University News and Media Relations Dory Devlin gave information about how computers and printers are purchased, deemed to need replacement, disposed of or sold.

Every University unit decides how frequently they replace their computers based on need. The Office of Information Technology (OIT) computer lab computers are typically replaced every four years, Devlin said.

“Low-volume printers can last over 10 years. However, high-volume printers, like those in the OIT computer labs, are replaced as frequently as three years,” she said.

Equipment disposal is mostly decided based on condition and the resale market. The equipment is either recycled or not, Devlin said.

Units with resale value are wiped, tested and sold as a single unit or with multiple other same machines. They are sold on an online auction, which is currently GovDeals, she said.

Individuals such as department heads are asked to review their University assets to determine if they have a surplus at least once a year, according to the University Policy for Surplus Property. The department completes an online request to surplus for removal. If costs are incurred by the surplus department during removal or moving, the originating department is billed.

The OIT has a computer purchase standardization program that provides vendor quotes for different specifications. Rutgers gets an approximate 34% discount versus the higher education price on desktop computers, according to the OIT website.

The OIT program’s stated purpose is to lower hardware costs, maximize interoperability and lead to efficiencies in technical support. The models it offers has advantages over consumer-grade computers, such as more memory or a more powerful processor, according to the OIT website.

Rutgers has a set procedure for procuring general goods and services for faculty and staff. It attempts to use surplus equipment first to avoid the cost of purchasing, according to the University Procurement Services website.

There are four purchasing procedures listed on the University Procurement Services website: Internal Purchase Orders (IPOs), check requests, University-wide contracts and the RU marketplace.

IPOs are produced by University service units such as web design services. Check requests are primarily used for subscriptions and refunds, according to the University Procurement Services website.

Rutgers has a database of contracted suppliers across the University whose services can be purchased.

RU Marketplace is the last avenue for purchasing. In general, the searcher looks for if there is an existing contract with a supplier and reviews the list of non-contracted suppliers if not. Depending on the cost of the order, quotes are received and paperwork is completed to allow the transaction to complete, according to the University Procurement Services website.

“Rutgers University owns and controls all equipment and assets purchased with University funds unless otherwise stipulated by the funding source,” according to the University Policy for Surplus Property.