Rutgers professor receives more than $1 M. for wind turbine research

<p>The Asbury Park Press reported in June that the state had approved the largest wind-energy farm in the U.S. off the Jersey Shore. Ultimately powering approximately 500,000 homes, the first phase of the project is expected to open in 2024.</p>

The Asbury Park Press reported in June that the state had approved the largest wind-energy farm in the U.S. off the Jersey Shore. Ultimately powering approximately 500,000 homes, the first phase of the project is expected to open in 2024.

A $1,356,872 grant has been awarded to Onur Bilgen, an assistant professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering from the U.S. Department of Energy’s Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) to develop new technologies for offshore wind turbines, according to a School of Engineering press release.

Bilgen’s award will support his research on new designs, computer tools and experiments that collect data to validate the designs and computer tools of new floating offshore wind turbines (FOWTs), according to the release. His project is called Aerodynamic Turbines Lighter and Afloat with Nautical Technologies and Integrated Servo-control (ATLANTIS) program.

With his team of faculty experts, funded graduate research assistants and post-doctoral researchers, Bilgen will aim to create more highly efficient and cost-effective FOWTs, according to the release.

“Without accurate and complete modeling of a wind turbine with all of its interacting components, such as wind, water, structural, electrical and economic dynamics, we cannot design the best turbine for a given site and we cannot decisively compare the efficiency metrics or costs of the different designs. Our project aims to enable us to do just this,” Bilgen said, according to the release.

His research will also seek to use their software to make a FOWT that uses more electricity and fewer manufacturing materials, according to the release. 

“Others will be able to use our software to design the next generation of wind turbines for their sites that will reduce the cost of electricity for consumers,” Bilgen said, according to the release. 

New Jersey is a great place to be conducting wind turbine research, as it has access to offshore coastlines, according to the release. 

“We are honored to be selected for this competitive grant,” Bilgen said, according to the release. “It will help our team make an invaluable societal impact. It is this future impact that really excites me the most.”