C. Vivian Stringers wins 2020 John R. Wooden Legends of Coaching award

The 2018-19 season was one filled with milestones for the Rutgers women's basketball team. The Scarlet Knights appeared in their 25th NCAA Tournament while finishing with a 13-2 record at the Rutgers Athletic Center (RAC).

All of those accolades are impressive, but easily one of the biggest storylines of the season came on Nov. 13, 2018, when head coach C. Vivian Stringer earned her 1,000th victory. She became the sixth different head coach to join the 1,000 wins club.

Stringer can chalk up another honor — the John R. Wooden Award for "Legends of Coaching" next year. The honor is issued to candidates exemplifying high character on and off the court, as well as the amount of students that graduate from the program. 

Stringer first arrived on the Banks in 1995-96 after spending 12 seasons as the head coach at Iowa. There she led the Hawkeyes to the Final Four in 1992-1993, while appearing in the NCAA Tournament in all but three seasons.

With the Knights, she has taken the team to the Final Four twice while reaching the NCAA title game during the 2006-07 season. 

She became the first head coach in either NCAA Division I men's or women's basketball to take three separate teams to the big stage, the Final Four. 

Stringer was also a member of the 2009 Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, the same class as NBA legends Michael Jordan, John Stockton and David Robinson.

She also played an instrumental role in the prominence of the Women's Basketball Coaches Association. Stringer even was in a position within the government, acting on the U.S. Department of State's Council to Empower Women and Girls Through Sports.

Her record up to this season with Rutgers is 499-277, a .643 winning percentage. Her highest-victory season was in 1998-99 when the Knights finished 29-6, making it all the way to the NCAA Regional Four. 

The Edenborn, Pennsylvania, native is now the fifth recipient of the award that is a women's basketball coach. She will receive the award next April. 

For updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.