RWJBarnabas Health to buy Trinitas Regional Medical Center in Elizabeth

<p>RWJBarnabas Health will become the corporate partner of Trinitas Regional Medical Center.&nbsp;</p>

RWJBarnabas Health will become the corporate partner of Trinitas Regional Medical Center. 

Trinitas Regional Medical Center, a hospital in Elizabeth, New Jersey, has signed a letter of intent to become a part of RWJBarnabas Health (RWJBH), which in partnership with Rutgers University, makes up the state’s largest academic health system, according to a Trinitas press release

Covering approximately 5 million people in nine counties in New Jersey, RWJBH will add Trinitas to its network of health facilities that includes 11 acute care hospitals, three acute care children's hospitals and a renowned pediatric rehabilitation hospital, according to the release. 

RWJBH will, under the preliminary terms of the deal, become Trinitas’ corporate parent. The Elizabeth facility has 554 beds and serves approximately 400,000 patient contacts per year, according to the release. 

The deal will allow Trinitas to receive increased investments from RWJBH to improve patient care, expand services currently provided and join the state’s most comprehensive health system, according to the release. The Definitive Agreement is intended to be finished by the end of the year, and must be approved by officials from the state of New Jersey, the federal government and the Catholic Church, which it is affiliated with.

"The rapidly changing healthcare landscape presents new challenges and opportunities. Trinitas is a vital resource to the eastern Union County community, and through this agreement we would greatly expand our reach into new communities with our mission of improving the health and well-being of its residents. We are excited about the many possibilities for collaboration signaled by this Letter of Intent," said Barry Ostrowsky, president and CEO of RWJBarnabas Health, according to the release. 

Despite the announcement and RWJBH’s continued growth in New Jersey, the company has had a string of reports come out this past week of alleged improper patient care. 

Nurses at RWJBH’s Monmouth Medical Center allegedly gave their patients Benadryl to make them fall asleep, falsified medical records and retaliated against a longtime nurse who spoke up about the misconduct, a lawsuit filed Wednesday stated, according to an article on NJ Advance Media. 

The Daily Targum reported yesterday that RWJBH has become the subject of a federal investigation after the news outlet ProPublica reported the company had kept a patient on life support for approximately a year to maintain a required survival rate.