The Rutgers football team entered its second and final bye week with a different coaching staff and player personnel than it had on Aug. 30, when it defeated UMass.

The Scarlet Knights (2-7, 0-6) have a new coach at the helm in interim head coach Nunzio Campanile, who doubles as the offensive coordinator. Campanile’s rise to the spotlight follows the firing of Chris Ash and former offensive coordinator John McNulty. 

With its toughest stretch of games against Big Ten powerhouses No. 3 Ohio State and No. 5 Penn State while hosting bowl-aspiring Michigan State in the final SHI Stadium game of the season, Rutgers will seek to grow in all areas of the football.

On the offensive end, redshirt freshman quarterback Johnny Langan has started at his position since Campanile, his former Bergen Catholic coach, called out plays from the sideline against Maryland at the beginning of October. 

Through eight games played, Langan has already established himself as the starting quarterback. His rise to the role was driven by sophomore quarterback Artur Sitkowski’s interest in pursuing a redshirt. Sitkowski did not earn the starter’s role this summer, unlike in 2018.

Fifth-year senior quarterback and Texas Tech transfer McLane Carter was brought in to mentor the quarterbacks while competing for a starter’s spot. He split first-team reps toward the middle of the training camp. 

He won the starter’s role ahead of the contest against the Minutemen. In his first appearance in a scarlet jersey, Carter had a career game comprised of 340 passing yards and two touchdowns. The next week against Iowa, he injured his head and was put in concussion protocol. 

On Oct. 8, he took to Twitter to announce his retirement from collegiate football.

The Knights have seen four different quarterbacks see time under center. First it was Carter, then Langan saw some time toward the end of Rutgers’ victory over UMass, his first appearance on the Banks.

In Iowa City, Sitkowski saw time in Carter’s place. 

True freshman quarterback Cole Snyder made his first appearance in one play against the Terrapins back on Oct. 5. He came in when Langan was taken out for a brief series.

On defense, the Knights have allowed an average of 36.67 points per game. This season, all opponents have combined for 125 lost rushing yards. 

Rutgers defense gives up an average of 198.7 yards per game on the ground. Opposing backs have scored 24 combined touchdowns through nine games of play. 

The Knights have allowed 232.56 passing yards per game. They have allowed 232.56 passing yards per game to opposing quarterbacks through nine games in this season.