Overshadowed, Halloween's just as philathropic as other holidays

Many the feel-good movie has been made about Christmastime, often dubbing it as the season of giving. Department stores thrive at this time of year, capitalizing off the general public’s incessant need to outdo one another when buying presents for their loved ones and those who celebrate have visions of sugar plums and all the loot they’re going to procure dancing in their heads. 

But between the lines hides an expectation — one of reciprocity and the stress to deliver from an adequate monetary position.

With no disrespect to the “most wonderful time of the year,” there exists an unconventional yet more philanthropic holiday: Halloween.

Now, the immediate association with All Hallows’ Eve is one of ghouls, witches, the occult and all else demonic and evil, which has deterred many from partaking in festivities. But the holiday Samhain — instilled by the Celts approximately 2,000 years ago and from where Halloween originates — embraced the presence of otherworldly entities in order to interpret prophecies about the New Year and find comfort during the upcoming winter months. 

While the American rendition has moved away from the focus on crop predictions, it has not lost sight of reveling in good fortune. Instead of igniting hearths and making animal sacrifices, though, it is customary now to distribute sweets to all who approach one’s doorstep. 

Regardless of who you are or where you come from, there is the guarantee of a gift without the expectation of anything in return through the act of trick-or-treating.

Granted, many have traditionally believed a time comes when one must stop dressing up and knocking on doors, typically around adolescence. But, in the age of inclusion, more people are resolved on letting others have their fun instead of spoiling someone’s good time for the sake of convention. 

So, while you may spend a few bucks on a couple bags of candy, it costs little to make a stranger smile. Whether it be trick or treat, Halloween is a day that inhibits the act of giving in all senses of the word.