LEYZEROVYCH: Libertarianism reigns supreme in age of political divide

Column: American Insights

The political ideology of libertarianism, and my vowed subscription to it, has granted me a wholesome and lucid view of modern America. A view that, I believe, escapes some blind convictions of folks standing on the opposite ends of the American political spectrum. 

Libertarianism, as it has been described officially, is an extreme laissez-faire ideology that advocates minimal government intervention into the economy and the livelihood of citizens. To some of my strongly-opinionated, Left-leaning readers, that description will ring similar to the agenda of the Republican Party. I beg to differ. 

Though, to some degree, libertarianism and Republicanism in a vacuum of their respective definitions are similar in application, as libertarian ideals zig-zag between the red and the blue quite freely. 

Thus, in a context of debate, a libertarian such as yours truly usually engages in some stoic self-sabotage, effectively prioritizing any individual above and beyond a community and honoring the opposing debater’s word as equal to his, even if the opinions diverge. 

I enjoy being a libertarian because my political ideology has allowed me to have insightful and memorable conversations with Democratic-socialists and Catholic Republicans alike, while not ruffling too many feathers. After all, this is the beauty of libertarianism: Do not care about what others think or say and allow others to not care about what you think or say. 

To solidify into some concrete policy, what I have spewed here is a far-from-exhaustive rundown of my libertarian agenda, and the proof of why it is primarily individually rather than communally driven. To be candid, this leaves most people I talk to about this neither angry nor happy with me.

I am pro-choice. I am also for pulling all federal funds from Planned Parenthood. I am pro-choice because the only moral ground on which I could prevent abortions would be a religious one. Because I am an atheist, I cannot lift a finger. 

But, my self-restriction from preventing abortions does not hold me from believing that abortion is an egregious act, and every woman that does it is, to a degree, morally corrupt. Thus, I am for federally defunding the organization that performs thousands of abortions for free. I refuse to have my tax dollars going to a cause with which I deeply disagree. 

But that does not prevent others from donating privately to Planned Parenthood if they want to support the cause. It also does not prevent women who have decided to abort to go to a medical facility and pay for abortion. 

I am pro-Bill of Rights, and especially the Second Amendment. I believe that the founding fathers, though flawed in their racism, were pure political geniuses that rightfully restricted the power of government, creating a self-sustaining system within the government itself through the checks and balances and awarding enough power to the people through the first 10 amendments for the government to never overstep the boundary of personal freedom. 

Regarding the right to bear arms: Although neither I nor any of my family members are gun-owners, if I do decide to purchase a firearm, that action alone will not be harmful to anyone and will not endanger anyone either, and the firearm will be used solely for the protection of my family and myself. As a libertarian, I find the liberal anti-gun agenda ludicrous.

In my opinion, no evidence exists that proves taking away guns from the public decreases the crime rate. But there is plenty of evidence, primarily from the fascist regime of Adolf Hitler and the communist regime of Joseph Stalin, that doing so will lead to an unprecedented rate of death. 

Finally, I am an atheist that is fully pro-religion and fully pro-LGBTQ+ rights. Let me reiterate what I said earlier: I am able to support all of these causes, because rather than being invested in the causes themselves, I am invested in people’s freedom to subscribe to those causes and the government to not dare step anywhere near those people’s choices. 

As an atheist libertarian, simply because I have not found god, does not mean I disrespect the ideas of those who had. Religion, in the context of modern America, as a canon of moral values, has made many individuals very happy. 

Simply because homosexuality is considered a sin in the world’s prominent religions does not give religious folks the right to influence homosexuals to any degree beyond non-violent conversation. 

Granted, in my opinion, the simple presence of homophobic religious groups in no way prevents homosexuals from living a free and happy life, and does not grant homosexuals the right to oppose homophobia in any way beyond non-violent conversation or protest.

Through these examples, I introduced my case for the libertarian ideology as a force of good in the madness of the politically-polarized America, and a beacon of extreme individuality and responsibility. 

Yan Leyzerovych is a Rutgers Business School first-year majoring in finance. His column, “American Insights,” runs on alternate Tuesdays.

______________________________________________________________________________________

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes  submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print  newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 500 words. Guest  columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 850 words. All authors  must include their name, phone number, class year and college  affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please  submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for  the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not  necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its  staff.