Record low temperatures recorded in New Brunswick

<p>New Jersey State Climatologist David Robinson works in the Department of Geography in Lucy Stone Hall, where he is a distinguished professor.&nbsp;</p>

New Jersey State Climatologist David Robinson works in the Department of Geography in Lucy Stone Hall, where he is a distinguished professor. 

New Brunswick had the lowest temperatures on Nov. 13, based on data dating back to 1896, said New Jersey State Climatologist and Distinguished Professor in the Department of Geography David Robinson, according to a press release.

The temperature dropped to 20 degrees, three degrees lower than the previous record in 1920. It was the fifth coldest temperature so early in the season, Robinson said. 

Trenton and Newark also experienced record lows, according to the release. Its temperatures were 21 degrees and 22 degrees, respectively. 

Robinson oversees the Rutgers NJ Weather Network and is an expert in climate conditions. Changes in jet stream patterns are causing colder temperatures in the eastern United States, and warmer temperatures in the West, he said. 

“(The jet stream patterns) brought above-average temperatures to western North America, where the jet stream is farther north than usual and a trough to the east, which is associated with the jet being farther south than normal,” Robinson said. “It is also fair to say that this eastern U.S. cold air mass is the coldest air relative to normal conditions than anywhere else on the planet.”

The weather will return to average temperatures by the end of the week, said Steve Decker, associate teaching professor and director of the meteorology undergraduate program in the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences.

“The persistent cold pattern is expected to change after this weekend, with more seasonable temperatures returning for the rest of the month,” Decker said.

The early cold temperatures are not enough on its own to predict weather trends for the upcoming winter, but other types of climate data can be more informative, Decker said. 

"Conditions in the oceans (especially the Pacific) support a wet winter, with temperatures slightly above average," he said. "Since even slightly warmer than normal temperatures are still cold enough for snow, there is certainly a chance for a few big snow events over the course of the winter."