RUPD reports 2nd coyote incident on Livingston campus

<p>Another person was bitten by a coyote just four days after the first incident.</p>

Another person was bitten by a coyote just four days after the first incident.

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) is investigating a second report of an aggressive coyote on the Livingston campus, according to a University-wide alert. 

The incident occurred on Monday, Nov. 18 at approximately 7:30 p.m. in the area of Parking Lot 105, according to the alert. 

RUPD’s alert was based on preliminary information and stated that the victim was affiliated with the University, but it is now known that the victim is not affiliated with the University, said Neal Buccino, a University spokesperson.

The victim reported that he was walking on Road 3 near Suttons Lane when the coyote approached him from behind, according to the alert.

The coyote reportedly bit the victim’s left pant leg, then immediately released its grip and fled the area, according to the alert.

The victim refused medical attention after emergency medical personnel confirmed that he did not sustain a physical injury, according to the alert.

The RUPD has since increased patrols on the Livingston campus and in the surrounding area, according to the alert.

This incident comes after a student was bitten by a coyote in the area of the Rutgers University Ecological Preserve on the Livingston campus on Thursday, Nov. 14, The Daily Targum previously reported.

Officials from the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife located a coyote’s den just a day after the first incident, the Targum previously reported. The Ecological Preserve remains closed to all individuals.

“The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection’s Division of Fish and Wildlife is working on a strategic and focused plan to capture the coyote,” Buccino said.

RUPD reminds everyone to avoid contact with stray or wild animals, and to seek medical attention immediately if scratched or bitten by a stray animal, according to the alert.

“The safety of our students and campus community are the highest priority for Rutgers University–New Brunswick,” Buccino said.