Rutgers alumnus now makes murals for Meek Mill, Google

<p>&nbsp;Rapper Meek Mill enlisted Rutgers alumnus Jimmy McMenamin to decorate a basketball court in North Philadelphia.&nbsp;</p>

Rapper Meek Mill enlisted Rutgers alumnus Jimmy McMenamin to decorate a basketball court in North Philadelphia. 

Rutgers alumnus Jimmy McMenamin has gone from graffiti tagging freight trains to earning thousands of dollars for his artwork within a decade, according to an article from The Philadelphia Inquirer. 

Now, Jimmy Glossback, as he is known professionally, is one of Philadelphia’s top muralists, according to the article. 

The 36-year-old Glossback has decorated a North Philly basketball court sponsored by rapper Meek Mill, made murals for Google’s headquarters in New York and put his skills to work for a commercial for the Gap Inc., according to the article. 

Even more of his clients include the NBA team the Philadelphia 76ers, Under Armour, Reebok, Puma, Lyft, NBA on TNT, Justin Bieber, Dietz & Watson, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Red Bull and Saks Fifth Avenue, according to the article. 

The minimum price for Glossback’s work is $2,000, according to the article. 

“I’m teetering the lines between graffiti, sign painting and fine art,” Glossback said of his art exhibit opening Nov. 23, at the Works on Paper gallery, according to the article. “Obviously lettering and dimension are important to my work … So I’m always figuring out better ways to do it.” 

Glossback originally comes from Haddon Township, New Jersey, where he enjoyed fishing and sketching in the environment. He then went on to graduate from Rutgers in 2007, majoring in environmental science. He first wanted to pursue a career in the marine sciences, according to the article. 

“I was always drawing,” Glossback said, according to the article. “I remember making illustrations of the creek. I would try to imagine what the bottom of the creek looked like.” 

Ultimately, later in life, Glossback began graffiti, according to the article. 

“Freight graffiti has been around for years,” he said, according to the article. “It’s like subway graffiti in New York, but instead of traveling borough to borough, you travel to meet people in different states and Canada.” 

Having made art his professional career, Glossback has settled down with his wife, Holly, and their two children, according to the article. 

“I’ll try to only work Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.,” he said, according to the article. “And I paint every job like I’m painting my own house.”