Rutgers announces new vice president for research administration

<p>&nbsp;José Miguel Román, the University’s new vice president for research administration.&nbsp;</p>

José Miguel Román, the University’s new vice president for research administration. 

After a nationwide search, Rutgers has announced its selection of José Miguel Román as the new vice president for research administration at Rutgers’ Office of Research and Economic Development, according to a press release. 

S. David Kimball, the senior vice president for research and economic development, said Román’s previous experience as assistant vice president of Sponsored Programs Administration at New York University (NYU) and executive director of Sponsored Projects Finance at Columbia University made him an ideal candidate for the position, according to the release. 

“With a wealth of experience at some of America’s leading research universities, José brings a deep understanding of the research life cycle to Rutgers along with an intensely collaborative approach to success,” Kimball said in the release. “He is a passionate and seasoned leader who shares in our vision to elevate research at Rutgers to new heights, and I am pleased to have him as a partner on my team.”

Under Kimball and alongside Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration Michael Gower, Román will be responsible for overseeing sponsored research projects and regulatory affairs. Román will develop and implement research policies and provide strategic direction for projects, according to the release.

Román will also be in charge of managing an approximately $10 million budget and 110 employees in the pre-award grants submission team, the award set-up team, the post-award administration team, the regulatory affairs team as well as employees dealing with corporate contracts, according to the release.

Aside from providing support to research faculty at NYU and Columbia University, Román has spent his career advocating for a variety of causes, such as vaccine development, HIV/AIDS, youth development and international emergency relief. He is also the co-chair of the National LGBT Advisory Board of the Democratic National Committee. 

Román earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the City University of New York, his Juris Doctor from the NYU School of Law and his Doctorate in Ministry from the New York Theological Seminary, where he studied modern spiritual movements. 

Román will officially begin his position on Jan. 6, 2020. He is excited to begin working on the various research projects at the University, he said. 

“Joining Rutgers, one of America’s premier state universities, is a source of deep pride. I look forward to being part of a remarkable community of research faculty, scholars, students, public servants and administrators,” Román said. “Working together we will continue to grow, mature and evolve Rutgers’ research agenda.”