Rutgers hires firm for softball investigation

<p>The report alleged that head coach Kristen Butler’s actions prompted 10 students to leave the team within a year of the new staff taking over, according to the article.&nbsp;</p>

The report alleged that head coach Kristen Butler’s actions prompted 10 students to leave the team within a year of the new staff taking over, according to the article. 

Days after University President Robert L. Barchi called for an investigation in response to detailed allegations that the coaches of the softball program abused their players, the University appointed the law firm Lowenstein Sandler to handle the inquiry, according to an article on NJ Advance Media.

Dory Devlin, the University’s senior director of Media Relations, said that Matthew Boxer will lead the investigation, according to an article.

The contract with Lowenstein Sandler calls for it to be paid a flat-fee, sliding-scale retainer of $95,000 for the first month, Devlin said. It will drop by $10,000 per month and will be capped at $60,000 at the fifth month, according to the article.

Last week, Barchi was confident the University’s athletics department took appropriate action in handling the allegations within the protocols of both the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the University, according to the article. 

The report alleged that head coach Kristen Butler’s actions prompted 10 students to leave the team within a year of the new staff taking over, according to the article. Marcus Smith, Butler’s husband and volunteer coach with the team, also invaded player privacy and made numerous inappropriate comments.

Butler denied the allegations against both coaches and Rutgers Athletics, as well as denying allegations on behalf of Smith, according to the article.