Rutgers hospital does not improve safety rating, report finds

<p>Saint Peter's University Hospital received a higher safety score than Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital.</p>

Saint Peter's University Hospital received a higher safety score than Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital.

A new Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade report card gave Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (RWJUH) a grade of a B for safety, while Saint Peter’s University Hospital (SPUH) received an A, according to an article from NJ Advance Media. 

Leapfrog issues a report card twice a year, and RWJUH’s score had not changed since fall 2017, when it received a C. SPUH received an A earlier this year, an improvement from two B’s in 2018, according to Leapfrog’s website. 

Leapfrog bases its rankings on patient surveys and public data, rather than the traditional method of using doctor recommendations, according to the article. The rankings do not mean the hospital provides the best treatment, but instead how often preventable accidents, such as infections or patient injuries, are reported. 

Top hospitals are the most efficient at saving lives. The Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality at Johns Hopkins Medicine reported to NJ Advance Media that patients in a B-rated hospital are 35% more likely to die due to preventable issues, compared to those in an A-rated hospital.

Leah Binder, president and CEO of The Leapfrog Group, told NJ Advance Media that medical professionals must work hard to earn positive scores. 

“‘A’ hospitals show us their leadership is protecting patients from preventable medical harm and error,” Binder said. 

While the scores from New Brunswick’s two hospitals have not changed since the beginning of the year, New Jersey as a whole received lower scores. The state is currently ranked eighth-best in the nation for hospital safety, compared to sixth-best in the spring, according to the article.