Rutgers to name new head football coach after season

<p>Greg Schiano, former football head coach, asked the University for access to a private jet.</p>

Greg Schiano, former football head coach, asked the University for access to a private jet.

Greg Schiano, Rutgers’ former football head coach, is no longer a candidate for the vacant head coach position and will not be returning to the University, according to an article on NJ Advance Media.

After a nearly three-week process, someone with knowledge of the situation told NJ Advance Media that Schiano reluctantly agreed on several key issues in negotiations, according to the article. However, the two sides could not come to an ending agreement.

Schiano wanted a written guarantee from the University that it would build a fieldhouse to replace the practice bubble and serve as a new indoor facility, as well as replace the Hale Center with a new football-only building, according to NJ Advance Media.

The University planned to build a fieldhouse, but was not willing to guarantee Schiano a new program headquarters.

Schiano also demanded a $4 million-a-year salary over an eight-year period, with a $25.2 million guarantee on the first day of his contract and unlimited use of a private jet, according to NJ Advance Media. The demands also included provisions for a car, a private golf membership, family travel to games and a $10,000 relocation bonus.

The proposed deal would have tied Schiano as the 10th highest paid coach in the Big Ten Conference, according to the article.

A source familiar with the offer said the University had originally offered Schiano a six-year contract, but his agents countered and asked for eight years as well as the additional perks, according to the article. The counter offer was never presented to the Rutgers Board of Governors and was ultimately rejected by Rutgers Athletics Director Pat Hobbs.

While Schiano would have reported directly to Hobbs, this proposal would give him the authority over all assistant coaches and football-specific matters, according to the article.

Additionally, advocacy groups, such as the New Jersey Coalition Against Sexual Assault (NJCASA), have also spoken out against the rehiring of Schiano due to his alleged connection to the Pennsylvania State University sexual abuse scandal, The Daily Targum previously reported.

Supporters of Schiano's hiring have spoken out online. Vineland High School, home of sophomore running back Isaih Pacheco and redshirt freshman linebacker Nihym Anderson, voiced their discontent with the decision on their football team's Twitter account.

"Very disheartening! Sent two of our guys to RU! Coach Schiano is the best candidate by far," according to the tweet. "If RU doesn't hire him to fix this mess, not going to recommend RU for any of my players or any players in South Jersey!" 

Schiano had an 11-year run with the University from 2001-11 before leaving for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in early 2012, according to the article. He was also the defensive coordinator at Ohio State for three seasons and later for the New England Patriots briefly earlier this year before taking the season off.

The search is still active and the University will not comment on a potential candidate, according to a statement from Rutgers University Athletics. They anticipate that a new head coach, who will be selected by Hobbs and approved by the Board of Governors, will be named when the season ends.