Schiano delivers Rutgers his demands for return

<p>Rutgers former head football coach Greg Schiano</p>

Rutgers former head football coach Greg Schiano

Rutgers officials met with former head coach Greg Schiano in Columbus, Ohio, on Tuesday to discuss his possible return as the University’s head football coach, according to an article by NJ Advance Media. 

Schiano met with Rutgers Athletics Director Pat Hobbs and Greg Brown, a significant booster and Board of Governors member, for several hours, according to the article. Due to demands made by Schiano, the meeting ended without a final decision. 

Schiano is believed to want significant improvements to the University’s football facilities. This includes an indoor practice facility, which is a common recruiting tool on every rival Big Ten Conference campus and will likely move the team out of the existing headquarters at the Hale Center, according to the article. 

“The job appears to be Schiano’s if his demands (which are lengthy) are met and it’s not as simple as Pat Hobbs and Greg Brown snapping their fingers and signing off on it,” read the Keith Sargeant quote, as tweeted by NJ Advance Media reporter James Kratch. “They’ll need an athletics-committee rubber stamp and then full (Board of Governors) approval before guarantees of this magnitude are done.”

A project of this magnitude would likely need high-level University approval before it can be included in contract. The next head coach’s contract will need the Board of Governors' approval, and the University would likely need to call a “special meeting” to approve any deals, according to the article. 

Rutgers recently upgraded its locker rooms, weight room and outdoor practice fields with contributions from donors, but field houses at other conference schools have come with a bigger price, according to the article. 

While the facility demands are not necessarily a deal-breaker, the University’s recent construction on a multi-team training center and an academic support building mean it operates with one of the nation’s most heavily subsidized athletics budgets, according to the article.

Rutgers is also likely facing an unprecedented salary number to hire Schiano and assistant coaches, according to the article. 

Several key boosters hoped that negotiations with Schiano could finish in time for a major announcement during the University’s celebration of the 150th anniversary of the first intercollegiate football game, according to the article.

Schiano has not coached college football since leaving Rutgers for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2011. He still holds significant bargaining power, with heavy support from donors and a lack of other possible candidates, according to the article.

The backup plan is believed to be to hire former University of Cincinnati and University of Tennessee coach Butch Jones, who met with University officials in Chicago last week, according to the article.