SHEIN on-campus ambassador talks business, brand awareness

SHEIN is an online retail store that sells clothing — mainly for women — but also has items such as men’s and children's apparel, accessories, makeup, shoes, bags and other fashion necessities. 

The brand was founded in October 2008 by Chris Xu, and it tries to uphold its philosophy that “everyone can enjoy the beauty of fashion” by having quality, affordable and trendy clothing.

One of its campaigns to try to promote its brand is called "Fall for SHEIN 2019 Tour." This tour involves going to different universities all across America and having a table or stand to promote its brand name. It offers free gifts and giveaways to passersby who download the application, follow it on Instagram and complete its survey. 

At the stands there are brand ambassadors and the SHEIN campus events team, working with the students by displaying some clothes, telling people how to become an ambassador and what the role requires. Ambassadors of these startup retail companies play a huge role in the company’s future success. 

I sat down with the SHEIN brand ambassador for Rutgers, Ayushi Shah, at the Livingston Student Center on Nov. 7 to talk about her role as an ambassador for this company. 

Shah is doing her Master of Science in Health Services Management at Rutgers Business School. She was first introduced to SHEIN as a customer in India on its online website and decided to become an ambassador for them because she had a knack for marketing. 

She likes working with people and enjoys when SHEIN does promotional events similar to this. 

For her, this is similar to health management because you also have to work with people and see how they perceive healthcare similar to how people perceive the SHEIN brand.

“To be honest when you work for something that you love it doesn’t feel like work. If hours go by and you don’t notice the time because you love what you do, you are not working," she said.

Although she doesn’t have a long-term goal of working at SHEIN, the soft skills of communication, marketing and networking will help her with her long-term goals of healthcare. It has also helped her with her confidence-building as well by communicating with so many different people. 

Some of the duties she does as a SHEIN ambassador is interact with people with the stand at the Livingston Student Center event and give them a 15% discount and $5 gift card if they download the app. 

“The goal is brand awareness and brand creation because people who don’t know about it are aware about how the brand is created and what kind of stuff they do. Also, we have a few things on display here which tells you how the quality of the products is. We also give out a QR code which they can scan and purchase right away. Therefore brand awareness and interacting and giving out freebies with people are my main duties. It’s pretty cool,” Shah said.

Through ambassadors such as Shah and this campaign, maybe SHEIN will become as famous as H&M, Forever 21 and American Eagle. Those brands all went through the same process of hosting tours such as these with the help of ambassadors in order to help promote their brand and sell their products. 

If you have the time, becoming an ambassador for a company you enjoy is a great way to network. It’s worth the work, even if you don’t want to work at the company long-time, because you learn skills that can help you with your other career goals.