Douglass Residential College raises over $15 million through fundraising campaign

<p>Douglass Residential College's fundraising campaign allowed it to start two new living-learning communities.</p>

Douglass Residential College's fundraising campaign allowed it to start two new living-learning communities.

Douglass Residential College (DRC) has raised more than $15 million through its fundraising campaign "The Power of the 100 Years," according to an article on Rutgers Today.

Imani Johnson, public relations specialist for DRC, said the campaign began in July 2015 and was launched to support student leadership, scholarships, career development and science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). Donors could choose to support a general fund or one of these specific areas.

“Thousands of alumnae, faculty, staff, students, parents, friends, corporations and foundations made gifts in support of programs at Douglass that were important to them,” Johnson said. “Advancing Students in STEM has been a key priority for Douglass for decades and received the most support for all five priority areas.”

DRC has started two new living-learning communities for students interested in STEM due to the campaign, according to the article. 

This campaign also supports existing programs at DRC, such as international service-learning programs in The Global Village living-learning community as well as the Building Opportunities for Leadership and Development (BOLD) Center, according to the article. DRC also created two lecture series that are meant to bring high-profile speakers to Douglass campus.

“So far this year, we welcomed Dr. Ashanti Johnson, one of the first African American chemical oceanographers, and Alina Tugend, author and award-winning journalist,” Johnson said. “Next semester we will host Dr. Susan Martin, an expert in international migration and immigration.”

Barbara Rodkin, chair of the campaign, and Julie Domonkos, chair of the Douglass Alumnae Advisory Board, led the campaign with the help of DRC board members, according to the article.

“I extend my sincere gratitude to all the donors to the Power of 100 Years Campaign – they have helped shape Douglass’s first century, and now will carry us into our second century of success,” said Jacquelyn Litt, dean of DRC and Douglass campus, according to the article. “Every gift to the college makes an impact on students, and we are full of gratitude for the accomplishments we have achieved together.”