Greg Schiano to return as Rutgers head football coach

Greg Schiano, former head coach of Rutgers football, has agreed to return to lead the struggling Big Ten Conference program pending the Rutgers Board of Governors' approval of the agreement, according to a statement released by Rutgers Athletics Director Pat Hobbs.

Earlier this week, negotiations of Schiano’s rehire were said to have ended with him no longer being a candidate for the position, The Daily Targum previously reported.

The decision for his return was made six days after he initially turned down negotiations, according to an article on NJ Advance Media.

Schiano’s deal is expected to be an eight-year contract at $32 million, the deal that was originally discussed prior to the talks breaking down, according to an article on Yahoo! Sports.

The deal has to receive a majority vote from Rutgers’ 14-person Board of Governors, according to NJ Advance Media. A special meeting for the Board of Governors to vote on the deal is scheduled for 10 a.m. Tuesday at Winants Hall on the College Avenue campus.

"It wouldn’t be appropriate to prejudge any action that the Board of Governors may take, but I believe today that Rutgers football is on the path to greatness," Hobbs said in the statement. 

Hobbs also said: “There are many people to thank for where we are today, particularly Coach Schiano and his team, as well as everyone here at Rutgers. They all played important roles in bringing these complex negotiations to a close.”

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) also spoke on the deal at an unrelated news conference, where he said he would let Rutgers break the news.

“But count us all in if we’re gonna be in the Big Ten (Conference) to be competitive,” Murphy said. “It’s important to our student-athletes, it’s important for the Rutgers community, it’s important certainly to the alums and I think it’s a point of New Jersey pride.”

Murphy also tweeted about the deal following a call from Schiano and University President Robert L. Barchi.

“Thrilled to usher in a new era of @RFootball with Greg at the helm,” Murphy tweeted. “Rutgers student-athletes, alumni and fans deserve a top-flight program that strives for excellence both on and off the field.”