Message for readers of The Daily Targum

In our most recent print issue of The Daily Targum, “Perspectives,” we reviewed the major stories of the Fall 2019 semester. We released an article, “Climate movements come to campus,” detailing the activities of the Central Jersey Climate Coalition (CJCC) on campus this past semester. The article included a picture taken from the Rutgers Scarlet NAACP’s Rally Against Racism & For Black Solidarity with the photo caption explaining the CJCC’s endorsement of the rally’s message. 

It was brought to our attention that the image did not accurately represent the content of the article and created a misunderstanding regarding the message of the rally. The Targum takes responsibility and apologizes for the disconnect between the photo and the body text of this article. 

The Targum met with the Scarlet NAACP, Black Lives Matter Rutgers, Rutgers University Student Assembly and the CJCC, this past Thursday. We discussed the future of the Targum as it pertains to covering the Rutgers student body and its diversity. We, at the Targum, are devoted to recruiting a staff that is representative of the student body, working harder to reach out to minority groups on campus and providing stories that reflect all voices.

Moving forward, we will be taking the necessary steps to refocus on these goals and ensure the Targum is fulfilling our mission of providing campus news for the students, by the students.