NJPIRG wins some schools in its referendum, RUSA announces

The Rutgers University—New Brunswick chapter of the New Jersey Public Interest Research Group (NJPIRG) has obtained enough "yes" votes in five schools to maintain funding from their students’ term bills, according to an NJPIRG Fall 2019 Referendum Certification document shared with The Daily Targum via the Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) Oversight Committee. 

NJPIRG won enough votes from the School of Arts and Sciences, School of Engineering, School of Environmental and Biological Sciences, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy and Mason Gross School of the Arts at the undergraduate level, according to the document. The RUSA Oversight Committee requires organizations to receive "yes" votes from 25% (plus one additional vote) of students in a school to maintain funding from the term bill. 

In the School of Arts and Sciences, NJPIRG received 3,966 "yes" votes, more than the 3,658 required. The organization won 819 "yes" votes in the School of Engineering, 701 in the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences, 231 in the Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy and 211 in Mason Gross, according to the document. 

NJPIRG failed to receive enough "yes" votes from all other undergraduate and graduate-level schools on the New Brunswick campus, according to the document. 

The referendum certification document has been signed by Eleanor Meli, a School of Arts and Sciences junior and chair of the RUSA Oversight Committee, and Lori Smith, associate director for Student Centers and Activities.