RUPD investigates report of suspicious package outside Buell Apartments

<p>&nbsp;The Rutgers University Police Department determined the area to be safe for occupants to re-enter after realizing the package was a class project that had to remain outside.&nbsp;</p>

The Rutgers University Police Department determined the area to be safe for occupants to re-enter after realizing the package was a class project that had to remain outside. 

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) received a report of a suspicious package on Thursday Dec. 6, at approximately 10:18 p.m. in the area of the Buell Apartments, said University Spokesperson Neal Buccino.

Through the investigation, it was determined that the package was part of a student’s research project, Buccino said. The nature of the project required it to be kept outside.

Part of the Buell Apartments were evacuated as a precaution, Buccino said. An emergency notification was sent to the Rutgers community by both text and email. The evacuated area was reoccupied once it was determined to be safe, and an updated notification was sent to the Rutgers community, Buccino said.

“The RUPD quickly responded to investigate while ensuring the safety of the Rutgers community,” Buccino said.