Rutgers food pantries raise money for Giving Tuesday

<p>Nevin Kessler, president of Rutgers University Foundation, said the pantries accept gifts of any size.</p>

Nevin Kessler, president of Rutgers University Foundation, said the pantries accept gifts of any size.

Today, Rutgers University food pantries are participating in Giving Tuesday, a day when people around the world get together to give back to a charitable cause, according to the Rutgers University Foundation’s page for the event. 

The Daily Targum reported in January 2019 that the University’s Board of Trustees had committed more than $2 million in aid to students in need, with a large portion stipend to set up food pantries at the New Brunswick, Newark and Camden campuses. The aid will financially support the food pantries until 2022, according to an article on Rutgers Today. 

On last year’s Giving Day, Rutgers raised $52,467 to support the food pantries, which serve more than 1,300 students. Approximately $40 covers one visit to the food pantry, according to the event’s page. 

“Gifts of every size from our incredible community of Rutgers donors help expand educational opportunities for the next generation of leaders,” said Nevin Kessler, president of Rutgers University Foundation, according to the Rutgers Today article. “And this extends well beyond scholarships. On Giving Tuesday, our community comes together to support students in a very real way — literally filling plates and feeding minds. In doing so, we raise awareness that our mission to provide for the educational needs of the people of New Jersey doesn’t stop at the classroom door: we are here to improve the human condition.”

Overall, the New Brunswick food pantry served more than 600 students last year, Newark served 250 to 260 students per week this year and Camden served 1,800 students visit during the spring and summer of 2019, according to the Rutgers Today article. 

Giving Tuesday began in 2012 when the New York City nonprofit organization, 92nd Street Y, partnered with the United Nations Foundation to create a day to give back to charitable causes following Black Friday and Cyber Monday, according to an article on USA Today. 

The global event raised more than $400 million and 3.6 million gifts for charity last year, according to the article. Giving Tuesday’s website showcases many of the nonprofits involved, including Habitat for Humanity and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, according to its website

“Whether it’s making someone smile, helping a neighbor out, showing up for an issue or people we care about or giving some of what we have to those who need our help, every act of generosity counts and everyone has something to give,” according to the website. “Identify your gifts, pick a cause that gets you fired up and give back — not just on December 3 for Giving Tuesday, but every day.”