Rutgers captures Big Ten honors after conclusion of season

On Tuesday, the same day that head coach Greg Schiano was officially announced at the helm of the Rutgers football team, four student-athletes garnered Big Ten awards given at the end of the regular season.

Junior punter Adam Korsak was selected to the coaches' All-Big Ten Second Team, headlining the list of Scarlet Knights (2-10, 0-9) receiving conference honors. Junior linebacker Tyshon Fogg and fifth-year senior defensive tackle Willington Previlon were named honorable mention All-Big Ten selections.

Senior offensive lineman and team captain Zach Venesky rounded out the list of Rutgers' honors, capturing the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award.

Korsak, who also garnered an All-Big Ten Third Team honor as chosen by members of the media, was initially picked as a Ray Guy Award semifinalist. He was a three-time recipient of the Ray Guy Award this season, given to the nation's top punter in the nation. 

Korsak was not selected as a finalist for the Ray Guy Award after accumulating 31 punts inside the 20-yard line. He is the program's record holder with the longest punt, a 79-yarder in 2018 against Northwestern.

The junior from Melbourne, Australia, amassed 3,327 yards on 76 attempts at the conclusion of this season. In his second season on the Banks, Korsak averaged a career-high 43.8 yards per punt. He was only called for two touchbacks this season, one less than 2018.

He first garnered the weekly Ray Guy Award this season for landing seven punts inside the 20-yard line, the most amount he has in that yard span in a single game this season. Korsak did this against Iowa back on Sept. 7, with 2 of his 10 attempts traveling at least 50 yards.

Fogg, who was picked by both the Coaches and Media as an honorable conference mention, has consistently paced the team in tackles this season. He is the team's season leader in tackles with 104, surpassing 100 in a single season for the first time in his career.

This season was easily Fogg's best from the stat sheet. He assisted on 70 tackles while totaling 34 individual ones, both career bests. His four tackles for a loss of 17 yards also are a career-high.

A team captain on defense, Fogg registered two tackles for a loss in the Knights' 21-point loss to Big Ten East rival Penn State at Beaver Stadium on Nov. 30. Fogg also totaled 1.5 sacks on No. 12 Nittany Lions' (10-2, 7-2) quarterback Will Levis. 

Fogg was a part of a Rutgers' defense that limited Levis to 81 passing yards. The Knights compiled 50 more total yards than Penn State to finish the season.

Fogg, a 6-foot-1-inch linebacker, was named a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar in 2018 along with capturing an Academic All-Big Ten accolade.

Venesky captures the Sportsmanship Award after starting all 12 games at left guard. He became a captain after appearing in six games last season with five starts at his position on the offensive line. Throughout his career on the Banks, he has lined up across from opposing defensive lines 21 times.

The Peckville, Pennsylvania, native helped the offensive line block for four different quarterbacks this season including redshirt freshman quarterback Johnny Langan, who started the last eight games of the season.

Venesky was part of an offensive unit that produced 271 rushing yards in a 44-34 win over Liberty. Langan compiled 118 yards on the ground, becoming the first quarterback since Sam Mudie in 1961 to amass 100 rushing yards in a single game.

Against the Flames, Venesky and the offensive line helped sophomore running back Isaih Pacheco to two scores on 19 carries. The unit did not allow Pacheco to lose yards in that game.

"He's a special kid. He's been just a great personality," said former interim head coach Nunzio Campanile, about Venesky following Rutgers' senior day loss at the hands of Michigan State. "Even his situation as a junior, didn't look like he had a chance to play. Ends up as captain of the team as a senior. Says a lot about his resilience, perseverance."

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.