Schiano must secure donors for new football facility

<p>Rutgers Athletics Director Pat Hobbs will assist Greg Schiano in securing private donors to construct the new football facilities.</p>

Rutgers Athletics Director Pat Hobbs will assist Greg Schiano in securing private donors to construct the new football facilities.

As part of Greg Schiano’s head coach contract, the new Rutgers football facility which he requested must be funded in part by private donors, according to an article from NJ Advance Media.

The official terms of Schiano’s contract have not been released to the public, as it will be voted on by the Board of Governors on Tuesday. A source with knowledge of the negotiations said the terms relating to the facility served as a compromise between Schiano and the University, according to the article. 

The Daily Targum previously reported that the facilities Schiano requested are standard at Big Ten Conference schools, and the contract allegedly acknowledged that building a new football operations center and indoor training area could help the team compete against the rest of the conference, according to the article. 

To construct these facilities, Schiano must secure private donors with the help of Rutgers Athletics Director Pat Hobbs. 

“As Head Coach, you will aid and assist the Director in efforts to obtain private funding commitments to cover the final projected cost of said facilities,” the contract allegedly said, according to the article. 

Once 50% of the facility funding is secured by private donors, the University will begin the process of securing approval from the Board of Governors to begin construction “within a reasonable time frame,” according to the article. 

NJ Advance Media reported that the University is currently looking into other projects to upgrade athletic facilities aside from the requests made by Schiano. These proposals include improving existing training facilities as well as expanding the Rutgers Athletic Center and SHI Stadium to include premium seating areas.