Students attend vigil for Priyanka Reddy on steps of Brower Commons

<p>Sejal Rajagopalan, a Rutgers Business School first-year, said people should stay informed on topics like sexual violence.</p>

Sejal Rajagopalan, a Rutgers Business School first-year, said people should stay informed on topics like sexual violence.

On Dec. 8, a vigil for Dr. Priyanka Reddy, who was killed in India last week, was held on the College Avenue campus. 

Reddy was abducted on a highway in India, and was then raped and killed, according to an article on Gulf News.

Attendees of the vigil gathered on the steps of Brower Commons at approximately 8:30 p.m. to hold posters and light candles for Reddy’s name. 

Students who attended the event spoke on Reddy’s situation.

"The situation is disgusting," said Sejal Rajagopalan, a Rutgers Business School first-year. “I really just think the men in India need to do better, they just need to do a lot better. They need to be more informed because this whole situation is so sad.”

Nishant Shastri, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, said that while the situation was sad, he believes there will be a form of justice for Reddy.

“We have been hearing all this happening in India for a long time,” Shastri said. “I think it’s due to how much the culprits got away with is why there was so much anger.”

These students also spoke on why they feel events like this should be held on campus.

Shrasti said these events spread a message that people should not be afraid to come out and stand up in situations like this. 

Rajagopalan said people need to be more aware, and events like this show people that these things are happening.

“A lot of people, especially college students, most of the time may be ignorant to stuff happening like this,” she said. “It’s so important to get the word out and show that stuff like this actually happens.”