LEWIS: Being average is not something we should be ashamed of

Column: Unfiltered Truths

Average people are exactly that: average. 

Anyone reading this would likely assume they are not. 

Of course they would. Who would want to be or, more importantly, known as average? But in the case of most people you are in fact average. Please do not take that as an insult, although it may be impossible not to. It is simply the unfiltered truth. By definition the average person is based off of what most people are. Therefore, most people are average. This is not necessarily a negative.

For instance, acquisition of true friendship is more than achievable because you, the average person, are like so many other people. And people love to feel like they belong so, it follows, that many people would get that feeling while spending time with you. Thus, friendship. 

This also explained the quandary I faced when contemplating popular music. I found resolution in examining Drake. Drake makes music for the average person: Catchy simple melodies and rudimentary lyrics that are just clever enough to make you feel something, but not enough to ever need to go back and listen again for the sake of attaining a full understanding of the song as a whole. 

Face value is the only value with Drake. He is average like most people. That is why he sells so well. This does not mean that everyone who likes Drake is average, but it is simply an explanation for why the average person seems to like Drake so much. They like simplicity. It is not that they are too dumb to be enthralled by a melody consisting of more than four notes. 

Dumb is the wrong word. Stupidity is relative to the average. And so if the average person refuses to be enticed by complexity, it does not make them stupid. They are just like everyone else. So what does this mean for artists who are not like Drake? 

Artists whose lyrics consist of double entendres hidden within metaphors and poetry vaguely disguised as a song? Artists who are unique, peculiar and unequivocally idiosyncratic? Incessant toil. Say 100 people hear a snippet of a new song. If that song is in constant melodic fluctuation, and the lyrics are not precisely what they seem on the surface, then maybe only one or two of that 100 will actually want to hear the full song, thereby supporting the artist. 

Which means getting that song to a thousand pairs of ears will only result in a dozen or so new fans. Whereas, if you were to keep it simple and forego the metaphors, poetry and melodic intricacy you might get that same dozen from the original 100. 

Understanding the average person’s wants is also important when it comes to Rutgers’ dating scene. That is, of course, if you yourself are not average. If you are and you want someone who is not, then you must proceed with caution. People, understandably, enjoy being with someone they feel comfortable with. 

So if you go into the relationship head first, brandishing a personality like one they have never seen, they may be amused by it, but they will never be attracted to it. That simply is not them. Deep down they know they could never match your avant-garde. They know they could never “match your energy.” 

The validity of these statements often varies depending one crucial aspect: gender. Women and men do not always want the same thing out of a relationship. In fact, a considerable amount of men do not desire a relationship at all, but rather, sexual property. 

In these cases it does not matter what kind of personality you may have, because that facet of you is entirely separate from his intentions. That is not to say "women cannot have the same prerogative" but, again, this article is concerned with the “average.” Additionally, the significance of this information depends on what you want. 

Do you want someone who wants you? The real you, in all your peculiar and unmatched splendor. I truly believe there is someone out there for everyone and that, if you are patient enough, you will find that person. 

Or do you just not want to be alone?

Paul Lewis is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in psychology. His column, "Unfiltered Truth," runs on alternate Tuesdays.

______________________________________________________________________

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes      submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print       newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 500 words. Guest      columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 850 words. All    authors   must include their name, phone number, class year and  college     affiliation or department to be considered for publication.  Please     submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be  considered   for   the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons  and letters do   not   necessarily reflect the views of the Targum  Publishing Company  or  its   staff.