Gov. Murphy announces plan to be carbon neutral by 2050, Rutgers to develop climate action plan

<p>Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) will soon announce a plan to become carbon neutral by 2050 with New Jersey’s new Energy Master Plan.</p>

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) will soon announce a plan to become carbon neutral by 2050 with New Jersey’s new Energy Master Plan.

In Gov. Phil Murphy’s (D-N.J.) State of the State address on Jan. 14, he stated that he would soon announce a plan for New Jersey to be carbon neutral by 2050.

“I will unveil New Jersey’s new Energy Master Plan, our comprehensive roadmap for arriving at our goal of a 100-percent clean-energy economy by 2050,” Murphy said, according to an article on NJ Advance Media.

University President Robert L. Barchi announced the creation of the President’s Task Force on Carbon Neutrality and Climate Resilience in September, according to The Daily Targum. They were charged with the mission of developing a comprehensive climate action plan for the University.

The members of the task force analyzed greenhouse gas emissions at the University and will offer solutions to reduce its greenhouse gas footprint that are environmentally sustainable, fiscally responsible, scalable and engage the broader community, the Targum reported.

Robert Kopp, a professor in the Department of Earth and Planetary Science and co-chair of the task force, said that they are aiming to release the pre-planning report during the second week of the semester.

“(The pre-planning report) lays out the rationale for an ambitious University climate action plan and sets out an 18-month agenda to develop one,” Kopp said.

They expect to start broad community engagement in support of plan development after the pre-planning report is released, Kopp said.