Holloway's hiring could benefit athletics, Hobbs says

<p>Athletics Director Pat Hobbs said he is excited to work with Jonathan Holloway, the next University president, because of his prior experience as a student-athlete.</p>

Athletics Director Pat Hobbs said he is excited to work with Jonathan Holloway, the next University president, because of his prior experience as a student-athlete.

Rutgers University Athletics Director Pat Hobbs recently spoke about Jonathan Holloway, University-president elect and the future of Rutgers University athletics, according to an article from NJ Advance Media

Hobbs said that while he understands why Holloway was asked about the debate over the University’s athletics budget, he does not think the divide is as large as people think, according to the article.

“I guess I see less of a divide than a lot of people do,” Hobbs said, according to the article. “It will be obviously something that is an important part of (Holloway’s) role at the University. It’s a huge job. I think he certainly can be very helpful in articulating the value of athletics, but we have a responsibility to him to make sure that we try to put our finances in the best position possible as we move forward.”

He also said he is excited to work with Holloway due to his experience as a student-athlete, according to the article.

“I don’t think they could’ve picked a better person,” Hobbs said, according to the article. “You look at his academic accomplishments and it’s a great day for all of our students at Rutgers (University), it’s a great day for our faculty. I also think from where I sit it’s an especially great day for our student-athletes. Every day we speak about the value of an athletic scholarship, the access to education that it provides and the limitless positive possibilities, and now we have a president who's the living embodiment of that opportunity.”

Hobbs also acknowledged the history being made with Holloway becoming the first Black president of Rutgers University.

“I look at the history and in a year where we’ve just celebrated the 100th anniversary of Paul Robeson’s graduation, we now have our first (Black) president who was also a student-athlete,” Hobbs said, according to the article. “So it’s wonderful. I think it’s a remarkable achievement.”