Lay off Lizzo, body positivity important for everyone

Lizzo is a musician that’s had a difficult time in the media since the start of her ascent into fame. The major controversy surrounding her has nothing to do with her character, professionalism or artistry. Instead, the biggest issue many have with the “Truth Hurts” singer is her weight. 

Ever since the beginning of Lizzo’s career, many have been constantly nagging her for the way she looks, especially for her body. Comments about how the star is unhealthy mask the fatphobia behind the words. 

The latest in a series of cruel memes and nasty comments comes from fitness expert Jillian Michaels. In an interview with BuzzFeed News' "AM to DM,” Michaels questioned why we are celebrating her body. After insisting that we stop talking about her body, she said, “Cause it isn't gonna be awesome if she gets diabetes.”

It’s quite ironic that people claim to have the utmost concern for her “health,” when in reality, people making others feel bad for their bodies may not lead the healthiest lives. That toxicity must definitely get to them. 

Being someone who identifies as a woman is difficult, to say the very least. I hate to sound cliché in saying that society pressures you to look a certain way, but in my experience, that is nothing short of the truth. Almost everyone isn’t pleased with their body, and it’s even harder when the stars you grow up with look almost nothing like you. 

Also, why should people care about Lizzo’s weight other than to praise her for being her most authentic self? This insistence on forcing a specific body type and certain look for every famous person is exhausting to the everyday consumer. I know I’m tired, to say the least. There have been more than a few times where I’ve wondered when we’ll outgrow the basic definition for a lot of career paths, including pop stars. 

I’ve often noticed that stars get famous and then slowly begin to lose weight or get face fillers to change what they look like. The authenticity of their appearance quickly vanishes, as if it never existed at all, and they soon join the masses of other A-listers that look exactly like them. 

As a generation that generally claims to promote creative expression, forcing individuals to become someone they’re not is truly not beneficial to any member of society and dilutes true talent and even beauty into something that is more of the same. 

Lizzo is radical in her downright refusal to conform to Eurocentric and outdated beauty standards that have been forced onto everyone, especially Black women.

Ultimately, numbers talk. Lizzo’s music may not be on everyone’s playlists, but it’s certainly gained enough traction to make her someone worth talking about. In fact, Lizzo scored eight Grammy nominations in her first year attending. 

It’s also undeniable that for every Lizzo performance, she delivers. Her fun flute-playing, amazing voice and uplifting lyrics could make just about anyone feel something, which is where true artistry lies. 

It almost breaks my heart to have to write this article. It really shouldn’t matter what Lizzo looks like, because as she said herself in a Rolling Stones interview, she’s “so much more than that.” If she has a good voice and you like her music, then listen to her. If you don’t care for her songs, then don’t listen. There should be no room for senseless anger or meanness. 

I hope the next articles written about the pop star aren’t about what she looks like, but about her achievements. Here’s to Lizzo and staying true to who you are.