NBPD, RUPD investigate two robbery reports

<p>&nbsp;</p>

The New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) and the Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) are investigating two separate robberies that occurred on Friday, Jan. 3, according to two university-wide crime alerts.

The first incident took place at approximately 7:25 a.m. in the area of Abeel Street and Elijah’s Way, according to the NBPD.

The victim, who is not affiliated with the University, reported that following a verbal altercation with a female, a male perpetrator approached him, according to the alert. The male perpetrator assaulted the victim and removed an item of value.

Both the male perpetrator and the female fled the area in a dark colored pickup truck toward Carman Street, according to the alert.

No weapons were used and the victim sustained non-life threatening injuries, according to the alert. The description of the perpetrator is currently limited.

The second incident took place at approximately 5:10 p.m. outside 55 Rockafeller Road, according to the RUPD.

The victim, who is affiliated with the University, reported that they met with the perpetrators to sell an item. The perpetrators struck the victim several times with closed fists and feet, according to the alert.

After assaulting the victim, the perpetrators stole the victim’s belongings and fled the area toward Suttons Lane, according to the alert. The victim was not injured as a result of the incident.

Anyone with information about either of the two incidents or anyone who many have been in the area at the time should contact the RUPD Detective Bureau, according to the RUPD.

Everyone can reduce their chances of being a crime victim by taking reasonable precautions, such as remaining alert and immediately reporting suspicious activity, according to the RUPD.