New Brunswick police reports assault on George Street

<p>The perpetrator fled down George Street toward Liberty Street after the assault.&nbsp;</p>

The perpetrator fled down George Street toward Liberty Street after the assault. 

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) issued a crime alert for an aggravated assault that occurred on Jan. 1 at approximately 2:20 a.m., according to a university-wide email. The assault took place on George Street between New Street and Morris Street.

A victim, who is not affiliated with the University, reported to the New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) that the perpetrator struck him with a brick, leaving a laceration. The perpetrator then fled toward Liberty Street, according to the email.

The victim was treated by emergency medical services but declined further medical attention. The email did not provide a description of the perpetrator. 

Anyone with information about the incident or who was in the area at the time should contact the NBPD Detective Bureau, according to the email. Students can reduce their chances of being a victim to similar crimes by traveling in groups, avoiding isolated or dark areas, remaining alert and reporting suspicious activity to law enforcement, according to the RUPD.