New Jersey patient tests negative for coronavirus

<p>The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention investigated the first possible case of coronavirus in New Jersey.</p>

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention investigated the first possible case of coronavirus in New Jersey.

The patient in New Jersey who was being tested for the novel coronavirus has tested negative, according to an article from NJ Advance Media

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) conducted tests on the patient and reported negative results to the New Jersey Department of Health, according to the article. 

“There is no other person in New Jersey under investigation at this time,” according to the Department of Health in a statement, according to the article. 

Other potential coronavirus cases in New Jersey were also found to be false alarms, according to The Daily Targum. A patient in Philadelphia is being tested for the disease, but the results of that case are still unknown, according to NJ Advance Media. 

Although only five cases were reported in the United States, approximately 100 other patients are being tested, according to the NJ Advance Media. Globally, the virus has continued its spread, with approximately 100 deaths and 4,500 other reported cases, most of which were reported in China, where the virus originated. 

Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) and Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) requested the United States Department of Health and Human Services to take better precautions to prevent the spread of coronavirus in the country, according to the Targum. They also asked the CDC to include the Newark Liberty International Airport to be included in the list of airports screening passengers for the disease. 

Debra Chew, an assistant professor of medicine at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School who previously worked for the CDC, said it will be a while before a coronavirus treatment is developed, according to the Targum.