Pallone announces climate change bill

<p>Rep. Frank Pallone (D-N.J.) said his climate plan is designed to maintain the long-term sustainability of the economy and the public health of Americans.</p>

Rep. Frank Pallone (D-N.J.) said his climate plan is designed to maintain the long-term sustainability of the economy and the public health of Americans.

Rep. Frank Pallone (D-N.J.) announced the framework for the CLEAN Future Act, a bill which is designed to guide the country toward net-zero emissions by 2050, according to a press release. 

“This plan represents our commitment to achieving net-zero greenhouse gas pollution. For the sake of the American people, the long-term sustainability of our economy and public health, we must act boldly, and that is exactly what we intend to do,” Pallone said in the release. 

The bill would propose Clean Energy Standards which would be implemented nationwide. These standards would require energy companies to begin using clean energy sources in 2022 and work toward providing 100 percent clean energy to consumers by 2050, according to the release.

Additionally, the bill aims to improve energy efficiency in buildings, reduce emissions for federally funded construction projects and require the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to set strict standards for vehicle emissions, which would improve yearly. 

The CLEAN Future Act would also establish a National Climate Bank, which would use public and private investments to help fund emission-lowering technology, industrial decarbonization, grid modernization, agricultural projects and clean transportation, according to the release. 

The bank would also work toward environmental justice by prioritizing projects in communities impacted most by climate change, according to the release. 

The United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said achieving net-zero emissions worldwide by 2050 could reduce the severity of climate change, according to the release. Pallone said climate change especially impacts New Jersey, which is one of the fastest-warming states in America. 

Recently, Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) announced his own plans to address climate within New Jersey. He announced an executive order to increase offshore wind energy production, according to the Daily Targum

Murphy said in his State of the State address on Jan. 14 that he will soon announce the Energy Master Plan which will aim for net-zero emissions within New Jersey by 2050, according to the Targum

Tammy Murphy, the First Lady of New Jersey, expressed her support for Pallone’s climate plan at a press conference.

“In the near future, the reality of climate change is going to transform both our lives and the lives of our children in ways that we can’t really imagine and that are very close to home,” she said, according to the release. “It is our responsibility that we find a multi-pronged strategy that incorporates both proven and innovative ways to mitigate the effects of climate change.”

As state and federal climate legislation become implemented, Rutgers University would need to adjust in order to comply. University President Robert L. Barchi announced the President’s Task Force on Carbon Neutrality and Climate Resilience in September. 

The committee will research ways Rutgers University can address climate change and it is set to announce its preliminary findings next week, according to the Targum.